Friday, December 26, 2008

Boxing Day

Pardon the title. A hang over from my days in Canada. I like the concept by the way.

I have a few additional observations to make about mom and the treatments. TT sent a comment that x-ray technology was not advanced enough to have provided mom with radiation treatment. And he is probably correct. He also stated that he was 12. That made me think and that would have been in 1955. Bro, I was speaking of my memories from 1949. That summer, we were staying with our maternal grandparents on the farm. Dad was in Minneapolis with mom and she was at Fairfield hospital which I believe is on the river in southern part of the city. That is where my son Wade was born. I understand that mom received directed beams of radiation from a nuclear source such as Cobalt. I remember a description of her being draped with lead padding to protect areas that did not need to be radiated.

At that time I was only 8, you were 6 TT. Santini was 4 and Gino was only a wee lad of 2 years. I remember the terrible feeling of separation I experienced and the joy I felt when mom finally was able to return. I did not know what had happened, really, but I knew something was different. She gave us a gift that is still giving. Along with her doctor whose name I recall as being Jenkins, they were doing research that is still going on today to save our wives and daughters and others that come after us. Their names will never be celebrated in monuments or awards, but I know what she did has helped with what is happening with Darilyn. Again, I must add, Thanks Mom.

Adieu

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year to you both. And best wishes for a better year than the one we've just been through. Love 'ya.

    ReplyDelete