Saturday, October 10, 2009

Cooking Blog

I have just finished commenting on my dear younger brother's blog in which he mentions the love of our father, fried green tomatoes. I am also a proponent of this delicacy. It seems the sons of Tom Miller share a passion with our father. We enjoy the art of cooking. I was unaware that there were more in the family. Cooking is a passion of mine and has become much more so over the last few years. Ever since I partnered with my dear lady wife who is a much better cook than I. And I am pretty good. I find that I enjoy the prep work and clean up in the kitchen. Now Santini will tell you that is a much changed attitude from when I was a teen. And she would be correct. But time and experience along with necessity has tempered that. I love the chopping and prepping of veggies for the dishes that my lady prepares. I also love to work on salads, making them unusual and tasty with as much visual appeal as I can conjure at the moment of creation. Sweet potatoes are another area where I have achieved some noteriety. I love omelets of all kinds. Roasting many types of fowl also seems to be a hit. Along with the concoction of soups, slow cooker meals, jambalya, and gumbo. Hey, I love to cook. Especially when there is someone to cook it for. I prepare some mean fish meals as well. So, bring on the recipes gang. Let us see if we can create a cookbook of our own. Why not? What else is time and experience good for?

See you all later. Yehear?

5 comments:

  1. I assume that you have seen the family cooking blog link on my sidebar on my regular blog. If you'd like to be one of the contributors, I'll send you an 'invitation' -- which is how the software works. I can send the invitation to any email account, but you'll need a gmail account to be one of the contributors. Directions for signing up come with the invitation. Blogger is part of Google, apparently.

    A cookbook is beyond the scope of the course, as I am fond of saying, but a collection of recipes, just for fun, could be assembled, I suppose, should anyone care to go to the effort. I can't speak for the copyrights of the other contributors, of course.

    My gmail account is santini60@gmail.com -- let me know if you'd like to join in on what seems to be at least a little bit of fun. If you send me your email address I won't have to go look it up -- the hassle of having multiple computers. And being a lazy *ss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see some of your recipes. Your time in southern climes seems to have given some access to things like gumbo and jambalaya that I have not tried.

    Dad did some cooking, but I mostly remember macaroni and eggs, plus corned beef hash (with eggs) as his specialties. I don't remember him ever cooking fried green tomatoes, although he claimed to like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Jimi. He did not ever do fried green tomatoes that I remember either. I do remember mom making them for him when we lived at uncle Marks house on the farm. My most vivid memory of his cooking was the Thanksgiving after mom died. He created the entire meal, pies and all, so that we would not go without it because mom was no longer with us. And he did an excellent job. He cleaned as he went so there was nothing left but dishes when it was over

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember his lunch specialty -- creamed chipped beef on toast. I really don't think of him as being a great cook, though. I do remember him claiming to be a better cook than Grandma Anderson -- who "didn't know how to do anything with a piece of meat except fry it," if I remember him correctly. She was one heck of a baker, though. She supported herself in her later years by selling home made baked goods -- mostly bread and pies -- through Tekla's Store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh he could cook when he set himself to the task. He was trained in the CCC camps in the 1930's as well as probably in his mothers kitchen. But he was of the generation that felt cooking was of the womans domain and he did not want to impose. But he was good enough that it allowed me to pursue cooking as an avocation. I did not think it a bad or inappropriate thing to be doing. And it did allow my children to have holiday dinners that their mother was never up early enough to prepare.

    ReplyDelete